We invite you to donate toward The Seeing Place's landmark 10th Season. This fund is considered to be the "well" of our organization from which all our art is able to flow. Your funds go toward production costs for all of our shows, as well as administrative fees, staff salaries, professional services (like marketing and PR) and our Education and Outreach Program.
We invite you to donate toward TSP's Fellowship Training Program, where we handpick artists from the ages of 18-25 from communities whose stories are less heard (women, LGTBQIA+, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, Immigrant, Disabled, etc) and train them in all aspects of producing live theater. Each fellow also shadows our resident ensemble and trains alongside them in the areas of acting, stage management, or directing.
SHARE THIS CAMPAIGN and express WHY YOU SUPPORT THE WORK OF THE SEEING PLACE:
TSP's Artist Fair Wage On Stage Program
We invite you to donate toward TSP's "Fair Wage On Stage" program, where we pay our artists not only for the time they spend on our productions, but also with living expenses (rent, food, health insurance costs, etc) between productions. Any funds raised in excess of $50,000 will be used to increase artist wages and will also enable us to increase the size of our ensemble over time.
Thanks to fervent arts lovers like you, our 9th Season was a banner year for The Seeing Place:
- In 2018-2019 season we employed 38 actors, 6 directors, 10 designers, and 6 stage managers, and mentored 52 ensemble members in our unique self-producer training program. This team created visceral and compelling productions of master works by Caryl Churchill, Eugene O'Neill, Marsha Norman, William Shakespeare, and Jean Genet to sold out houses of nearly 2000 patrons.
- Our production of THE MAIDS was nominated for 3 New York Innovative Theatre Awards, including Best Revival of a Play.
- We presented 5 main-stage plays and 2 free-to-the-public readings under the theme, IN EXTREMIS. Our productions were hailed as "an always exciting company" (Talkin' Broadway), "resonant and deeply unforgettable" (Geek Media), "One of my favorite Off Broadway companies" (Times Square Chronicles), "A rare feat deserving of packed house.s" (Theater That Matters)
- We continued our collaboration with the Paradise Factory on East 4th Street in the heart of Off Broadway in the East Village, where we're received subsidized space rental.
- We're also honored to have support and contributions from important organizations like Work-Bench, The Bean, the Boro Hotel as well as the Taproot Foundation, the Ravenal Foundation, the Lamb's Foundation, and the Susan and Charles Tribbett Fund.
DD Moreland, Patron Review on Theatermania- "I enjoyed this show very much. Apart from the fact that it is a great script, the acting was convincing, direction on point and best yet, the script kept in tact; performed as it may have been so many years ago when doctors made $20 a week and abortions were illegal. This company does beautiful work and although I am tempted to name names, I will not do so; suffice it to say, I admire this company's work and in particular, the authenticity with which "Men in White" was produced--almost as if I were at home looking at a soap opera on a stage in my living room. Go see it. I know you, too, will enjoy "Men in White" and come to recognize a company with a tremendous future in the theater."
MORE CRITICAL PRAISE:
"In these recession strapped times, it's the best deal on or off Broadway." - Will Kenton, Cultural Capitol
"How often does the opportunity arise to see one of the greatest American playwright's work produced by a company that takes their work as seriously as this one does, and delivers results that prove how effective that work is?" - Toby Ring Thelin, Theatre Knights (& Daze)
"The Seeing Place has proved to be a bold and spirited force in independent theater, producing thoughtful works that are timelessly relevant to our cultural moment...I’ve never seen a company that felt so present and so invested in their work." - Sara Zweig, Letters from the Mezzanine
"I hope that The Seeing Place Theater continues to push the boundaries of theater in the off off Broadway community by producing thought-provoking, smart, and well-acted theatre. Oh, and tickets are only $20. You really can’t beat that.” - Zak Risinger, Theatre is Easy
TSP Revolutionaries are a group of awesome folks who are committed to supporting TSP’s mission of presenting daring interpretations of master works, a change from some of the more “safe” theater happening on New York today. There are 4 ways to become a Revolutionary, depending on your time, energy, and budget:
TO JOIN: Click one of the links below and then email me so that I can add you to our list of Revolutionaries on our website.